[vtkusers] Volume rendering questions

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Nov 10 10:25:08 EST 2009

Hello Loris,

The GPU volume ray cast mapper will soon be moving to VTK. At that time
we will fixing the existing bugs (generally related to the clipping
algorithm for starting the rays).

As for the second issue - we should add the code to detect this and
release all graphics resources when we note that the vtkRenderer has
changed (and hence we have a new view context). The results won't be
good - you'll have the "slow first render" speed for every render
because you'll be alternating between two different view contexts (so
you will create and reload the volume texture twice for every render).
So yes, we will fix this bug but no, you really should not use this
mapper in more than one view content (vtkRenderer). In order to do so -
we'd need a much bigger VTK-level change (sharing of view contexts
across renderers).

Lisa

Yes - it would be nice to have one copy of the texture and use it in
multiple vtkRenderers, but that can only be done with a major change to
VTK to share view contexts across renderers.