[vtkusers] Do I need to build lib files myself?

BosseB bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Nov 8 03:04:08 EST 2009

I am cleaning up after a developer left the company...
All of our own sources are safely kept in CVS but the developer has
used the VTK package and left no detailed instructions on how to get
it working in the Borland BDS2006 IDE. :-(

So I am now trying to create a working system for Borland BDS2006 with
VTK.
Since I totally failed to build it myself (in CMake the Configure step
errored out claiming that the Borland compiler was in error...) I
tried a different approach:

I collected the VTK files from the PC the developer left behind when
he left the company and transfered them (via CVS) to the test machine
where I have BDS2006 installed. This includes both the VTK sourcefiles
and the lib files I did not manage to create.
I put the lib files into a separate directory named LIB and the
sources in a number of parallel source directories like in the VTK
download.

After setting the proper include directories for both the compiler and
linker I managed to build the vtkBorlandRenderWindowPkg.bpk project
*partly*. It does not produce any errors while compiling, but then
there are 57 errors in the linker step. :-(

Here are two examples of typical errors:
[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external
'FTGLPixmapFont::FTGLPixmapFont()' referenced from
C:\ENGINEERING\PROJECTS\CMPBDS\VTKBIN\LIB\VTKRENDERING.LIB|vtkFreeTypeUtilities

[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external '_vtk_png_sig_cmp'
referenced from
C:\ENGINEERING\PROJECTS\CMPBDS\VTKBIN\LIB\VTKIO.LIB|vtkPNGReader

Notice that the VTKBIN directory named here is *not* the vtkbin that
is produced by CMake, I just happened to make up that name myself...

I have put *all* of the lib files I found in the source PC into a LIB
directory on the destination PC except for any with "TCL" in the name
because we do not use TCL at all.

So where can I solve the "unresolved external" error?

Since it did not work I opened a lib file in a hex editor to see how
it was structured and to my horror I found that it contained a lot of
*absolute* paths to source files that were located as on the source
PC!

So my question now is:
Is it not possible to copy lib files between development systems that
use the same Borland BDS2006 IDE but installed in different paths ?
Or is it possible, but only if the lib files and project source files
reside in the exact same paths on both PC:s?????

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden