[vtkusers] generating walls of a room.

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:55:08 EST 2009

Hello,

I had made a post about a room design application where I would have
various vtkActors rendering different bit of furniture geometry that I
would import from a CAD application.

My question was about designing the geometry of the room and how I can
simulate the 6 walls of a 5 x 5 x 5 room and have a vtkCamera so that
I can change the view perspective.

I realize that I might not have asked the question in more detail, so
I would attempt again. I certainly hope  someone can help me with the
vtk side of things.

So, what I was thinking was that the 6 walls can be represented by 8
corner points. If we assume that:
- x increases from left to right.
- y increases from bottom to top
- z increases from screen to viewer.

The the 8 corner points would define the wall geometry. Now, I would
also like to attach physical meaning to the dimensions. So, if my wall
is 5 m x 5 m x 5m, I am guessing the vtk data structure can hold this
information and allow me to go seamlessly from screen coordinates to
real world coordinates.

My question is how do I set all this up in vtk and render it. I would
like to set the walls so that the axes values go from -1 to +1. I
guess I could easily convert from screen (int) coordinates to real
world and vice versa.

I am guessing I could use a combination of vtkPlane objects to create
this scene but have no idea on how to go about it. What data structure
should I use for holding my wall parameters (vtkDataSet,
vtkRectilinearGrid??).

Also, if I want to set the origin at a certain arbitrary point in the
room, how do I go about it?
I hope this is a bit more clear. As you can imagine, I am completely
lost on the VTK side of things. I would really appreciate any help
anyone can give me.

Many thanks,

Anja