[vtkusers] Voxelize a point cloud (vtkVoxelModeller?)

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Mon Nov 2 14:53:19 EST 2009

On 31/10/09 15:56:11, David Doria wrote:
>  I am trying to take a set of points and insert it into a voxelized 3d grid.
> That is, the input is an unstructured point set (vtkPoints or similar) and
> the output would be a structure that you can do something like the following
> after voxelizing the points into a 10x10x10 grid:
>
> for(int x = 0; x < 10; x++)
>   for(int y = 0; y < 10; y++)
>    for(int z = 0; z < 10; z++)
>      cout << "Grid cell " << x << " " << y << " " << z << " has " <<
> Grid->GetNumberOfPointsInVoxel(x,y,z) << " points.";

Hello David,

If  You  want  to  creat some kind of N-D histogram by this it came to me that
perhaps Gaussian_Splat might be of some help. I'm not sure if You can restrict
the splatter to only the centre point but if You want to regard the histogram-
smoothing caused by some uncertainty in the x,y,z position then Gaussian_Splat
might be You choise.

Regards,
Lynx