[vtkusers] vtkXMLImageDataWriter, writes file?

Thu May 28 14:49:53 EDT 2009

If you specify a relative path (i.e. a path not beginning with '/')
writing a file relative to the current working directory. This isn't a
VTK thing, it's pretty much universal to all operating systems.

And to specify where to write a file, you'd prepend the filename with
that directory path.

There are a number of platform-independent path functions available in
Kitware's kwsys library -- this shows up as vtksys in VTK.  The
vtksys::SystemTools class has a number of path manipulation tools that
make dealing with this sort of thing a little easier.