[vtkusers] vtkPicker picks an actor that isnt remotely close to the pick point

Thu May 28 14:32:21 EDT 2009

the vtkPicker class lets you set the tolerance, for picking.  The
default tolerance is apparently a bit too loose for your taste.

>From the documentation:

> virtual void vtkPicker::SetTolerance(double)	 [virtual]
>
> Specify tolerance for performing pick operation. Tolerance is specified as fraction of rendering window size.
> (Rendering window size is measured across diagonal.)

The way this works is a little squirrelly, because you probably care
about a maximum distance from the exact pixel center, in pixels.  But
this function wants a fraction of the window size (as measured
diagonally), which you'll have to compute based on the window
geometry.  And if your window can be resized, you'll have to watch for
resize events and update the picker tolerance.

But the reason you can pick a few voxels away from the particular
voxel is that it's tricky to pick small features with the mouse
pointer.  If you set the tolerance too low, it will make it rough for
users to pick anything.