[vtkusers] OffScreen and blank window

ABE Hiroshi habe36 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 20:52:28 EDT 2009

Dear Clint and all,

On 2009/05/27, at 3:08, Clinton Stimpson wrote:

> Ok, that needed fixed for other reasons, and makes a difference if
> hardware offscreen is attempted but not supported.
> Apparently, hardware offscreen creates the window and leaves it.
> Doesn't seem like offscreen to me :)

Exactly. Carbon implementation actually does, I guess.

> You'll have to ask Kitware why they create/leave the window for
> offscreen.
> On the Mac, I thought offscreen simply worked by creating a window
> and use that as the rendering target, but never show it.

I've looked into detail the code and compare the Win32RenderWindow
and CarbonRenderWindow.
I have not so much experiences on OpenGL so it would take more time
to see.

Actually, I use wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor, and my sample single
window program which can switch On / Off Screen, works as expected.
But multi-window (using wxNotebook) sample program doesn't render the
hidden window even using OffScreen rendering of VTK
(SetOffScreenRendering(1)).

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best,

ABE Hiroshi
  from Tokorozawa, JAPAN