[vtkusers] VTK time support - how good is it?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed May 13 10:36:52 EDT 2009

Yes, time support is indeed this general, yes it works seamlessly with the rest of VTK, and no, there is no performance penalty when working with timesteps beyond what you would have anyway iterating over the same timesteps in some other way.  From your description of your data, it sounds like the VTK time support will do exactly what you want.

We have since written a paper for IEEE Visualization which documents the implementation.  I have added this paper to the Wiki and if you go back to the Time Support Wiki page you will see a link to download it.  If you want to see a demonstration of some of the things you can do with the time support, you can review the animation we sent with the paper.  I have that posted on my web site: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~kmorel/documents/TimeVis-IEEE2007.html

To play with this, you may consider loading your data in ParaView.  It takes advantage of the time support and will synchronize the loading of time steps based on the time stamps in the data and provides all the GUI controls to manipulate time.

-Ken