[vtkusers] how to make transparent the background of my dicom files?

Luca Ramundo luca.ramundo at hotmail.it
Tue May 12 11:23:19 EDT 2009

hi all..
I'd like to know if there is a way to make transparent the background  of my dicom files and then save it. In other words,  I'd like to visualize only the part
of the patient's body without the black background. Is there possible?

I know that there is a class (vtkLookupTable) which probably can help me. I used vtk Medical example to understand a little this class,
and I used SetTableValue method to set alpha value=0 but it doesn't work! Is this wrong?

Is there another way to resolve my big problem?
cerca thanks a lot,
Luca