[vtkusers] Building VTK application with Visual Studio 2008

Alexandru Duţu alex.dutu at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:04:28 EDT 2009

Dear VTK users,

I am using Windows XP SP3 and Visual Studio 2008. I downloaded VTK sources,
branch 5-4-0 from the CVS repository. I built them with Visual Studio 2008
(I generated the build workspaces for Visual Studio with Cmake, set the
BUILD_EXAMPLES option and left unchecked BUILD_SHARED_LIBS options). After
the buid process there was no error or warnings, I installed VTK from Visual
Studio, also no errors or warnings.

I have started another instance of Visual Studio and created a solution and
in that solution an empty console application project.

After that I configured the depencies within Visual Studio:

   1. I've added the include directory to the "Addional Include
   Directories".
   - My include directory is "c:\Program Files\VTK\include\vtk-5.4"
   2. I've added the library directory to the "Additional Library
   Directories"
   - My library directory is "c:\Program Files\VTK\lib\vtk-5.4"
   3. I've Included all the VTK libraries (.lib) files I used in your
   program under "Additional Dependencies"
      - vtkCommon.lib, vtkFiltering.lib, vtkGraphics.lib, vtkRendering.lib,
      and vtksys.lib.
   4. I've linked to the OpenGL library ("opengl32.lib") also under
   "Additional Dependencies".

I've added the Cone.cxx example to my project and build it. Compilation went
ok, at linking I had 31 errors.
It seems that there are unresolved symbols in my linking process
(vtkRendering.lib(vtkProperty.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol "public: class vtkXMLDataElement * __thiscall
vtkXMLMaterial::GetProperty(int)" (?GetProperty at vtkXMLMaterial
@@QAEPAVvtkXMLDataElement@@H at Z))

You can check the attachement for the complete build log.

If I put all the lib files to the linker Additional Dependencies there are
much more linking errors (aprox 300 errors).