[vtkusers] Convert a .vtk file into 'structured points data file'

Amy Squillacote amylists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:42:53 EDT 2009

Is "v16" in the code below something that produces vtkImageData or
vtkPolyData? If it's vtkImageData, then you should use the
vtkXMLImageDataWriter:
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkXMLImageDataWriter.html, and use
the extension ".vti". If you want to save it in the older .vtk format, use
the vtkStructuredPointsWriter:
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkStructuredPointsWriter.html, and
use the extension ".vtk".

Alternatively, if you used a series of images to create your volume, you
should be able to load those images directly into VolView.

If your data really is polygonal, then you'll need to resample it onto a
volume (vtkImageData), and then save out that volume using one of the
methods described above.

- Amy