[vtkusers] connecting vtkKWImage & vtkKWImageIO to itkFilters

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 20 03:51:37 EDT 2009

Hello Sergio,

The vtkKWImage and vtkKWImageIO classes are mainly useful for:

1. read (nearly) all the image formats that ITK can read using
vtkKWImageIO -> returns a vtkKWImage, which has the method "GetVTKImage".

2. at the end of an itk pipeline, pass the itk image to the vtkKWImage
object using "SetITKImageBase" and get the vtkImageData for your
visualization pipeline.

If you want to read an image and pass it to an itkImage for image
processing, an itkImageReader is more straightforward.

BTW: I am not sure if the vtkKWImageIO class can read Dicom images. I
would suggest following:

1. Read dicom images using an itk reader, which can handle dicom
2. pass itkImage to vtkKWImage
3. pass vtkImageData from vtkKWImage to your viewer (e.g. vtkImageViewer2).

If you have 3D images and want to move between slices, and if you maybe
even want to select pixels (seed points), then you could use my own
image viewer.

http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~blloyd/ImageViewer/

bye
Bryn

Sergio Aguirre wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to do a simple 2D Dicom series reader and viewer using ITK
> and VTK.
>
> Initially I used the itk GDCM class and successfully read a DICOM series
> and using the itk-vtk imoprter and exporter classes was able to connect
> the pipelines so that I would write an XML file (VTI) using vtk classes.
> Then read the vti file and display it in VTK.
>
> I would prefer to it without writing the XML file. If I use a different
> than the vtkXMLwriter class, say vtkImageShifScale or vtkImageViewer2 to
> catch the DICOM stack I get a segmentation fault.
>
> Recently I found the vtkKWImage and vtkKWImageIO classes and was
> successfull at reading the DICOM files and connecting them to both vtk
> classes I mentioned (shifter and viewer).
> http://insight-journal.org/dspace/handle/1926/495
>
> BUT I don't know if I could use an itk filter (say
> itkCurvatureFlowImageFilter) before displaying them since I only found
> the "Setfilename" and "Setdirectory" options for the vtkKWImage class.
>
> Can you use vtkKWImage and vtkKWImageIO in combination with itk Filters?
>
> If not, is there an explanation for the segmentation fault I get when
> not using the XML writer?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sergio

Bryn Lloyd