[vtkusers] should I use vtkPolyData or something else?

Lorenzo Bernardi lorenzo.bernardi at lpn.cnrs.fr
Mon Jul 27 18:01:11 EDT 2009

Bill Lorensen wrote:
> You may want to look at Shepard's method:
> VTK/Imaging/vtkShepardMethod
>
> // .NAME vtkShepardMethod - sample unstructured points onto structured
> points using the method of Shepard
> // .SECTION Description
> // vtkShepardMethod is a filter used to visualize unstructured point data using
> // Shepard's method. The method works by resampling the unstructured points
> // onto a structured points set. The influence functions are described as
> // "inverse distance weighted". Once the structured points are computed, the
> // usual visualization techniques (e.g., iso-contouring or volume rendering)
> // can be used visualize the structured points.
> // .SECTION Caveats
> // The input to this filter is any dataset type. This filter can be used
> // to resample any form of data, i.e., the input data need not be
> // unstructured.
> //
> // The bounds of the data (i.e., the sample space) is automatically computed
> // if not set by the user.
> //
> // If you use a maximum distance less than 1.0, some output points may
> // never receive a contribution. The final value of these points can be
> // specified with the "NullValue" instance variable.

thank you for the information. I couldn't really find example with
vtkShepardModel so if you have one it would be nice. Otherwise I'm
trying to do a cut in my structure using the example
vtk/VisualizationAlgorithms/Python/CutCombustor.py and I thought that I
should only change the pl3d object which is the output of a
vtkPLOT3DReader by my vtkShepardModel object. Should it it be like that
and I have some misconfiguration of vtkShepardModel (like range or
orientation of the plane and so on) or do they produce different kind of
object.

sincerely

L.