[vtkusers] should I use vtkPolyData or something else?

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 15:27:49 EDT 2009

You may want to look at Shepard's method:
VTK/Imaging/vtkShepardMethod

// .NAME vtkShepardMethod - sample unstructured points onto structured
points using the method of Shepard
// .SECTION Description
// vtkShepardMethod is a filter used to visualize unstructured point data using
// Shepard's method. The method works by resampling the unstructured points
// onto a structured points set. The influence functions are described as
// "inverse distance weighted". Once the structured points are computed, the
// usual visualization techniques (e.g., iso-contouring or volume rendering)
// can be used visualize the structured points.
// .SECTION Caveats
// The input to this filter is any dataset type. This filter can be used
// to resample any form of data, i.e., the input data need not be
// unstructured.
//
// The bounds of the data (i.e., the sample space) is automatically computed
// if not set by the user.
//
// If you use a maximum distance less than 1.0, some output points may
// never receive a contribution. The final value of these points can be
// specified with the "NullValue" instance variable.