[vtkusers] VTK & GPU

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Jul 27 04:00:12 EDT 2009

Sharmila :

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Sharmila Subbiah <sharmimohan at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We were using VTK for volume rendering and some image operations. Now we
> are moving towards CUDA for real-time image processing for an application
> with high performance constraints. We want to make use of both CUDA and VTK
> for processing. Regarding this, we have the following questions.
> 1) How much of overhead does VTK add over OpenGL?

There is a measurable overhead. VTK provides the advantage of a higher level
abtraction with lots of flexibility and that trades off with some loss in
performance. There are ways to minimize these. One would need specifics.

> 2) How much does VTK leverage the GPU capabilities? How about utilizing the
> large number of cores available on NVIDIA CUDA-enabled GPU?

Please take a look at VTKEdge. ( vtkedge.org )

As regards leveraging GPU capabilities, the library provides GPU-based
volumetric ray casting, GPU-accelerated filters for computing 2D LIC on
vtkImageData or vtkStructuredGrid, GPU versions of Feldkamp back projection,
several GPU-accelerated image processing algorithms, and a couple of CUDA
enabled VTK-classes, (such as FFT implementation using CUDA).