[vtkusers] vtkProbFilter examples please

Greg Fokum gregthom99 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 08:06:23 EST 2009

Greetings

I have been reading the documentation for vtkProbeFilter and it seems it is exactly what I need but I am missing some concrete ideas as to how to use it.

I have some 3D vtkImageDatas with scalar (unsigned short and floats) attributes. I have the dimensions and spacings of my vtkImageDatas.

Question1:

Can someone with experience give me an idea as to how I can obtain the scalar values at a particular (x,y,z) coordinate ? with x,y,z not necessarily at grid position in vtkImageData ?
This is somehow interpolation, (am I correct?). if so are there choices to be made to influence the "interpolated value" ie trilinear, nearest etc

Question 2:
Can someone explain how I can convert the vtkImageData into a grid of vtkHexahedron (cell type 12) with the condition that
 1) each hexahedron is centered on the center of voxels from the vtkImageData
 2) grid points are the 8 coner points of the voxels in the vtkImageData ?

>From the documentation of vtkProbeFilter it seems it can achieve all of this but I need to start from some basic examples.

Hope someone can answer me

user