[vtkusers] Bug in vtk build system: hardcoded path

Benjamin Schindler bschindler at student.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 20 08:48:23 EST 2009

Hi

I just installed a new version of qt along side the old one (Which is
still required because it's linked against older libs). I just exchanged
the envvars and expected things to work. Wrong :)
Any Project using cmake and which depends on vtk, will pull in the
following files:

VTKLibraryDepends.cmake:  SET("QVTKWidgetPlugin_LIB_DEPENDS"
"optimized;/pub/flowvis/local/qt4/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.3.3_inst/lib/libQtCore.so
snip)
VTKConfigQt.cmake: ... similar as above
(The grep also gaves matches on libQVTK.so.5.2.0 and
plugins/designer/libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so which also give a potential for
some breakage)

So this means, vtk has path which get pulled in hardcoded. So if qt
moves around (and envvars are adjusted), any vtk application using qt
potentially breaks

Is there the possibility to fix this? Right now I'm forced to rebuild
all of vtk and paraview which is a real pain

Thanks
Benjamin