[vtkusers] QVTKWidget with vtkImageViewer2 glitch

J.S.Wijnhout at lumc.nl J.S.Wijnhout at lumc.nl
Wed Feb 25 05:19:13 EST 2009

Hi,

For starters, I have read the thread on this issue:
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2008-November/098242.html

However I managed to get vtkImageViewer2 working inside a QVTKWidget, with one glitch however. The sample code is printed at the bottom of the screen.
The way I got this to work relies on the order in which calls to Render and SetRenderWindow are made. First I render the image viewer by calling vtkImageViewer2::Render, after that I attach the image viewer render window to the QVTKWidget. This works, but because I call render first a separate render window is created and then (after the call to QVTKWidget::SetRenderWindow) reparented to the QVTKWidget. This happens really fast, so I guess I could live with it. But it keeps me wondering what I should do to have it functioning properly. Any advice on how to circumvent or fix vtkImageViewer2 would be welcome.

best,
Jeroen

#include <vtkRenderer.h>
#include <vtkRenderWindow.h>
#include <vtkImageViewer2.h>
#include <vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h>
#include <vtkPNGReader.h>

#include <QVTKWidget.h>

#include <QApplication>
#include <QMainWindow>
#include <QStatusBar>

int main ( int argc, char **argv )
{
    QApplication app(argc,argv);

    const char* fileName = argv[1];

    QMainWindow w;
    w.statusBar()->showMessage(fileName);

    QVTKWidget vtkWidget;
    vtkWidget.setAutomaticImageCacheEnabled(false);
    w.setCentralWidget(&vtkWidget);

    vtkPNGReader *reader1 = vtkPNGReader::New ();
    reader1->SetFileName(fileName);
    reader1->Update ();

    vtkImageViewer2 *viewer1 = vtkImageViewer2::New ();
    viewer1->SetInput(reader1->GetOutput());
    viewer1->SetupInteractor(vtkWidget.GetInteractor());
    viewer1->Render ();
    viewer1->SetRenderWindow(vtkWidget.GetRenderWindow());

    w.show ();

    app.exec ();

    viewer1->Delete ();
    reader1->Delete ();