[vtkusers] DirectX rendering for VTK

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Mon Feb 16 17:37:59 EST 2009

Kitware may have the opportunity to create a DirectX interface for VTK
(to mirror the OpenGL interface). I am sending this email to the VTK
community in order to gather "support" stories that would justify this
effort.

If you are a long-time VTK user / developer, then you are probably aware
that VTK has an abstraction layer on top of the underlying graphics
language in order to support cross-platform operation. In the early
days, VTK supported not only OpenGL, but also Starbase (for use on HP
computers) and XGL (for use on Sun computers). In time, HP and Sun
switched to OpenGL, and support for Starbase and XGL were dropped from
VTK. Even though VTK now only supports OpenGL, the abstraction layer has
been maintained to allow us to add another graphics language should the
need arise. DirectX has been on our radar screen for years; however it
has been low on our priority list since it would not expand the
cross-platform reach of VTK.

I'd like to see DirectX support added to VTK because I believe this
would help us re-validate our "graphics language independent"
abstraction layer which may have been breached in the years of having
only OpenGL support. But I'm not sure if that is enough of a reason to
pursue this effort :-) so I am looking to the user / developer community
to see if there are additional reasons why DirectX support in VTK would
be valuable. If you have any supporting arguments for this work, please
send them directly to me at lisa.avila at kitware.com. If I do receive any,
I'll be sure to summarize the responses back to this list.

Thank you,

Lisa