[vtkusers] tubular structure

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Feb 13 12:11:40 EST 2009

The tube filter takes in a set of points in space and a data array
which contains values for each point (defined as either a scalar or
vector) that determine the radius at each point.

You define that structure be creating a vtk_polydata, filling in the
points via SetPoints, and filling in the values via
GetPointData->SetScalars() or GetPointData->SetVectors().

Set that polydata as input to the tubefilter and call the filter's
SetVaryRadius*() method to choose either the scalar array or vector
array.

If you define your vector array to be orthogonal to the centroidal
axis and have a magnitude corresponding to your radius, your should be
able to do what you want.