[vtkusers] Some things cannot be saved as VTP?

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 4 03:49:40 EST 2009

Try using Delaunay with following setting:

    delaunay->BoundingTriangulationOn();

and play with the alpha parameter:

    delaunay->SetAlpha(Alpha);

you will find that for alpha>0 the result is basically the same as with
alpha==0, except that the longer edges (and triangles/tetrahedra with
longer edges) have been removed. This allows you to create a mesh for
non-convex objects - if the points are dense and evenly distributed.

Bryn

> Now another question - I have a point cloud of a car and I want to make a
> triangulated model of it.  3D Delaunay did a decent job, but you can see
> (http://rpi.edu/~doriad/car.jpg) there are some major artifacts, like the
> side view mirrors are attached to the body of the car by very long
> triangles. I didn't exactly understand what the few parameters were for in
> the delaunay filter, but tweaking them didn't seem to change that kind of
> thing. Is there a better way to get a surface out of these points?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

Bryn Lloyd
Computer Vision Laboratory