[vtkusers] .vtk vs .vti

michiel mentink michael.mentink at st-hughs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 11:34:39 EST 2009

I'd like to open a series of dicom images and save them as a volume image
file for future opening.

(my future plans: marching cubes: convert to surface mesh, register that
with another surface mesh using ICP or the like)
I noticed that ITKsnap doesn't open .vti files, however it does open .vtk
files. ITK writes and opens .vtk files.
Because I'm planning to use both ITK and VTK in the future, .vtk would seem
to be a good option.

However, in the VTK examples, a series of dicom images is saved as .vti
Is .vtk obsolete, or is it absolutely fine to keep using that format?

What is the advantage of .vti?

greets, Michael