[vtkusers] vtkTextActor segfaults my render window

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Dec 11 10:40:32 EST 2009

On 12/11/09 10:35 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>I am glad we got to the bottom of this issue - all of the USE_SYSTEM_* force
>VTK to use the system installed library. I often use them (decreases compile
>time for example) but fort the dashboards it can cause some test failures -
>newer freetype has nicer text alignment that fails the image diffs for
>example.

That is explained in:
<http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7199>

Werner (freetype dev) thinks: "I suspect that the font is badly hinted;
it seems to miss hints (both ghost and normal) at least for the `i'.
This, in combination with a not-yet fixed problem within FreeType (which
sometimes displaces horizontal strokes too much vertically) probably
causes the effects you can see."

We need to convert the VTK C++-ified fonts to a standard format so that
Werner can debug.

But last I asked, no one knows how and/or has time/will.  Any font
experts out there?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com