[vtkusers] Problem in Streaming: Lesson Learned in ReleaseData

Bernard Chiu bcychiu at alumni.uwo.ca
Thu Dec 3 20:23:13 EST 2009

Hi all,

I have solved my problem described below. Since the mechanism of
releasing data object in streaming isn't documented anywhere to my
knowledge, I would like to share my solution.

Streaming processes image block by block. At each iteration of
processing, the executive has the option of deleting its input if the
ReleaseData of a data object is on. Since the input of the first
filter in a pipeline will be accessed again in another iteration, it
should not be deleted. In my problem below, after the first iteration
of ifft, the input data object is released and not available to
subsequent iterations.

To solve this problem, I explicitly demand that the input data object
of ifft is not deleted by adding the following two lines:

vtkInformation* inInfo = ifft->GetExecutive()->GetInputInformation(0,0);
inInfo->Set(vtkDemandDrivenPipeline::RELEASE_DATA(), 0);