[vtkusers] InfoVis Provenance Patterns

Jason BELLONE JBELLONE at unog.ch
Thu Dec 3 08:43:23 EST 2009

Greetings,

We are hoping to promote VTK for mainstream use within our organization as
a platform for information visualization of global issues. Noting the
recent developments of Titan in the areas of geovis and infovis, we see
great potential for applications in our typical analysis use cases. Our
task is to create a set of "provenance" patterns for conventional
representations such as choropleth map, 3d bubble plot, social network,
etc. We are currently using VisTrails to create these "recipes" to enable
our non-technical user-base to select among the examples. This is the idea,
but here is the problem. It seems that detailed documentation and examples
for the infovis/geovis packages could benefit from some "real-life" test
cases. For example, here is the current scenario we are working with:

a.) A world country border geometry provided as shapefile.
b.) A CSV delimited file with Country ID (matching shapefile) and
statistical information such as Population, GDP, etc.
c.) A render of country polygons (based on SHP) where each country polygon
is colored (choropleth) based on a statistical parameter.
d.) A symbol marker (such as proportional cube) is placed on map based on
statistical variable.

We would be very grateful for this community's indulgence to brainstorm and
elaborate the VTK implementation of such a case. We are hoping your inputs
can provide some needed guidance (pseudo code) for us to assemble the
needed VTK logic.

If it would be useful, we would be happy to "give back" this work and
provide detailed documentation for using VTK for these scenarios. In other
words, we'd be happy to share what we learn by contributing instructional
sources (wiki write-ups, etc.) for using VTK/Titan for common information
visualization purposes.

Thank you kindly for your support and advice.

JB