[vtkusers] Multiple glcontext (vtkXOpenGLRenderWidow) and sharing resources.

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Tue Dec 1 10:47:15 EST 2009

This is really risky right now as each OpenGL prop assumes it owns or
manage its OpenGL resources. There is no garantee at the VTK level
that if you delete an actor it one view the OpenGL resources used by
this actor will still be valid in the other view (or what happen when
your application exit, for example?)

But you can now vote for it:

http://vtk.uservoice.com/pages/31508-general/suggestions/403278-framework-for-sharing-opengl-resources-between-several-vtkopenglrenderwindows?ref=title
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9983

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:33 AM, petter wake <petter.wake at sonowand.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I have a question that may have been asked before. But I wonder if
> there is something you are planing to do?
>
> I am working on making a display containing multiple views.
> I use QvtkWidget(vtkXOpenGlRenderWindow) for one view which displays 2D
> images. I will have up to 9 views with images from the same volume.
> I also want to have images from different volumes view together in the
> views(overlay).
>
> Will it be possible to have multiple
> vtkRenderWindow to share the same data set(resources)?
>
> I have solved this by using glCreateContext with shared list in
> vtkXOpenGLRenderWidow.
> Are there any potential risk in doing this?
>

> Regards
> Petter Wake
> System developer @ SonoWand

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive