[vtkusers] building vtkMFC as a static library (Visual studio 2008)

Mark Gooding mark.gooding at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 07:09:33 EDT 2009

Hi there,

i've been trying to build vtkMFC as a static library and am not be
overly successful. I came across a thread about this on the vtk
mailing list (http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2009-February/099337.html).
However I don't seem to be able to get it to work. Could anyone give
me some pointers.

Here's what I'm doing:

In cmake:
   select VTK_USE_MFC
   ensure BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is deslected
In Visual Studio:
   change properties for vtkMFC project
       change "Configuration Type" to "Static Library"
       change "Use of MFC" to "Use MFC in a static library"

when building vtkMFCWindow fails with "
fatal error C1189: #error :  Please use the /MD switch for _AFXDLL builds"

but the MD switch is for creating dlls. What am I missing?

Cheers,

Mark