[vtkusers] build vtk libs using Visual Studio 2005 (for dummies)

mschira mark.schira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:01:51 EDT 2009

John M. Drescher wrote:

> If you are using cmake 2.6.X then its probably not in your path. You
> can put the cmake-2.6/bin folder in your path or just  change
> directory to the bin folder in cmake.
>
> Or try just opening cmake-gui from explorer. I would create a shortcut
> for that and put it on the desktop and get rid of the shortcut to the
> deprecated cmake. In most cases you will not need to run this from a
> command prompt. I do not do that often.

Hehe, told you guys I had no idea what I am doing here. turns out I need
Cmake to be installed (*looking very embarrassed now, though nobody did so
much as hinting Cmake is something one has to install*)

So I just did that. Installed 2.4 though not 2.6 (for now) Why?

Found a post from Jeremy Drysdale who tell a here tale of himself managing
to compile the VTK on his Xp64 system. So he's my hero for now, while I am
trying to follow his path.

Are there good reasons to use 2.6 instead?
Cheers
M.