[vtkusers] 3D surface reconstruction from 2D contours (RT structure set) and 3D image

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 27 02:57:21 EDT 2009

Hello,

You could create a 3D distance image from the 2D contours.

For all slices k:

   For all pixels in slice k compute the signed distance to 2D contour k,
   i.e. distance + inside/outside information wrt 2D contour k.

Working through the whole stack of contours will give you a 3D signed
distance image, which you can apply marching cubes to.

--Bryn

lars-friedrich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there is someone among you having experience with 3D
> polydata surface reconstruction from 2D contours (RT structure set) and 3D
> images (e.g. CT data set on which the contours were created).
> Are there applicable tools in VTK which can be used for this purpose? I know
> that it is a problem to reconstruct 3D surfaces from 2D contours alone
> (especially at bifurcations and comparable situations). But I guess, having
> the respective 3D image data as well should deliver additional knowledge and
> it should help stabilizing such algorithms. The problem is that marching
> cubes alone is not enough because the contours do not necessarily correlate
> with a specified iso-level.
> Could you give me some hints on this topic, please?
>
> regards,
> lars

Bryn Lloyd
Computer Vision Laboratory