[vtkusers] 3D surface reconstruction from 2D contours (RT structure set) and 3D image

lars-friedrich lars-friedrich at gmx.net
Sun Apr 26 07:10:22 EDT 2009

Hello,

I would like to know if there is someone among you having experience with 3D
polydata surface reconstruction from 2D contours (RT structure set) and 3D
images (e.g. CT data set on which the contours were created).
Are there applicable tools in VTK which can be used for this purpose? I know
that it is a problem to reconstruct 3D surfaces from 2D contours alone
(especially at bifurcations and comparable situations). But I guess, having
the respective 3D image data as well should deliver additional knowledge and
it should help stabilizing such algorithms. The problem is that marching
cubes alone is not enough because the contours do not necessarily correlate
with a specified iso-level.
Could you give me some hints on this topic, please?

regards,
lars