[vtkusers] How to build libraries for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Mon Sep 29 11:18:29 EDT 2008

Hi Sean,
                    Thanks for the advice, it really does reflect what
I've just discovered. Trying to get things to move to 64-bits on a new
Mac OS X 10.5.x installation is quite involved.

I had more problems trying to compile the snapshot version of Qt-4.5.x
for 64-bits, so I'm going to wait till they release the official
version and then try the Cocoa bindings.

On Sep 29, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> However, perhaps you are doing too many things at once.  Although both
> VTK and Cocoa support 64 bit, they are both much better tested in 32
> bit.  I would suggest working only in 32 bit.  Are you using 64 bit
> because it was the only way to get Cocoa support with the new Qt?  I
> suspect Qt is also much better tested in 32 bit.  Considering you are
> using a new Qt with experimental Cocoa support, adding 64 bit into the
> mix will only complicate things.

Yes, as I'm discovering right now. For the moment, I'm going to make
do with Carbon support and try to get things to work in 32-bits.

> Also, are you building libjpeg and libpng for VTK's sake?  It would be
> simpler to just use the versions that come with VTK itself, instead of
> trying to use separate versions.  Just building VTK with default
> settings will use the built-in versions of those libs.

Actually, I needed this for grass-6.4.x, which requires that I install
the following libraries

proj-4.6.0
gdal-1.5.2
libjpeg-6b
libtiff-3.8.2
libpng-1.2.31
fftw-2.1.5

So, I got stuck with libjpeg-6b, which I understand is problematic to
compile for 64-bits for some reason.