[vtkusers] How to build libraries for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Sep 29 11:06:18 EDT 2008

On 9/29/08 12:11 AM, Elvis Dowson said:

>                      Sorry for the trouble, but now I have a bit of
>difficulty getting libjpeg-6b to compile also for 64-bits.

Elvis,

I'm happy to see you working so hard on the VTK/Qt/Cocoa experiment!

However, perhaps you are doing too many things at once.  Although both
VTK and Cocoa support 64 bit, they are both much better tested in 32
bit.  I would suggest working only in 32 bit.  Are you using 64 bit
because it was the only way to get Cocoa support with the new Qt?  I
suspect Qt is also much better tested in 32 bit.  Considering you are
using a new Qt with experimental Cocoa support, adding 64 bit into the
mix will only complicate things.

Also, are you building libjpeg and libpng for VTK's sake?  It would be
simpler to just use the versions that come with VTK itself, instead of
trying to use separate versions.  Just building VTK with default
settings will use the built-in versions of those libs.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com