[vtkusers] parallel rendering from Python

Alexander Pletzer pletzer at txcorp.com
Fri Sep 26 17:28:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have just rebuilt vtk (downloaded from cvs end of Aug 2008) with
Parallel activated:

 BUILD_EXAMPLES
ON

 BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
ON

 BUILD_TESTING
ON

 CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY
2.4

 CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE

 CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
/usr/local

 VTK_DATA_ROOT
/home/research/pletzer/Download/VTK/../VTKData

 VTK_USE_INFOVIS
ON

 VTK_USE_PARALLEL
ON

 VTK_USE_RENDERING
ON

 VTK_USE_VIEWS
ON

 VTK_WRAP_JAVA
OFF

 VTK_WRAP_PYTHON
ON

 VTK_WRAP_TCL
OFF

I had no problem building (as far as I can tell). However, when I try to
run the example

VTK/Examples/ParallelProcessing/MPI/Python/ParallelCone.py

I get

[pletzer at localhost Python]$ python ParallelCone.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ParallelCone.py", line 9, in <module>
    compManager = vtkCompositeManager()
NameError: name 'vtkCompositeManager' is not defined

It seems that this class is not available from Python? I'm looking for
an example of a parallel pipeline feeding into a composite render. Any
example along those lines would be welcome.

Thanks for your help.

--Alex