[vtkusers] VTK & Java & Netbeans Platform

Jerome Robert jeromerobert at users.sf.net
Tue Sep 23 06:20:07 EDT 2008

Quoting Sercani <sercanimailgroups at gmail.com>:

> Hi everyone;
>
> I have moved my project from c++ vtk to java vtk, but there are some
> differences between them. For example I coulnd't disable interaction of
> vtkPanel. And I coulnd't pass the mouse event to Canvas rather than
> vtkRenderWindowInteractor. I want to take mouse events with java but
> coulnd't manage it...

I didn't not test it (I did it only for keyboard events) but I think you should
override the mouse* methods of vtkPanel.

> vtkPanel seems to sit on top of the other components ,
> for example if a menu or panel comes on it, that component becomes
> unvisible...

This is the problem of heavy/light components. Adding those 2 lines will fix the
problem for menus and tooltips:
JPopupMenu.setDefaultLightWeightPopupEnabled(false);
ToolTipManager.sharedInstance().setLightWeightPopupEnabled(false);

I don't think there is any solution for panels.

> Is there a document or tutorial that explains how to use vtk
> with java? Or is there anyone solves these problems?

JCAE will probably contains examples of what you want to do:
http://jcae.sf.net

Particularly this source code:
https://jcae.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jcae/trunk/vtk-util/
https://jcae.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jcae/trunk/vtk-util/src/org/jcae/vtk/test/