[vtkusers] Collaboration on macport for VTK 5.2.0

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 21:05:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Simon Wilson <lists at xeosdd.net> wrote:
> On 19/09/08 11:38 AM, "Darren Weber" <darren.weber.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm working on adapting a macport called vtk5 to work with VTK 5.2.0
>> (see current version attached - a work in progress).  If anyone else
>> is using macports or building VTK for OSX (10.5 or otherwise), please
>> get in contact so we can develop a nice macport for the 5.2.0 release.
>>  I could use a lot of help to code and test different variants of the
>> build configuration in the Portfile.  I've already contacted previous
>> maintainers of the vtk macport and they are not available to continue
>> the work.
>>
>> Thanks, Darren
>>
>> PS, I put the file attached into ~/ports/graphics/vtk5 and run
>> portindex from ~/ports/ to make this port available for testing on my
>> local system.  It is not ready for integration into macports, without
>> further testing.
>
> Hi Darren,
>
> I've only just switched to MacPorts from several years of using Fink. This
> is on a MBP with 10.5.5, recently formatted and with few applications
> installed.
>
> -------------
> sim at carboxyl ~ $ sudo port
> MacPorts 1.600
> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
> [Users/sim] > search vtk
> VTK                  graphics/vtk   4.2.6        3D visualization toolkit
> vtk5                 graphics/vtk5  5.0.3        3D visualization toolkit
> vtk_5.2.0            graphics/vtk5  5.2.0        3D visualization toolkit
> (www.vtk.org)
> [Users/sim] > install vtk_5.2.0
> --->  Fetching vtk_5.2.0
> --->  Attempting to fetch vtk-5.2.0.tar.gz from
> http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.2/
> --->  Attempting to fetch vtkdata-5.2.0.tar.gz from
> http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.2/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for vtk_5.2.0
> --->  Extracting vtk_5.2.0
> --->  Configuring vtk_5.2.0
> --->  Building vtk_5.2.0 with target all
> --->  Staging vtk_5.2.0 into destroot
> Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: error copying
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_sim_Library_ports_graphics_vtk5/work/V
> TK/bin/CommonCxxTests": no such file or directory
> [Users/sim] >
> -------------
>
> Looks like you either want to enable BUILD_EXAMPLES (or BUILD_TESTING?), or
> disable the "Provide some examples" section in post-destroot. I removed the
> copy steps, and everything seems to build and install ok, as far as port is
> concerned.
>
> But then when it comes to running the "vtk" command, for example, I get the
> following:
>
> -------------
> sim at carboxyl /opt/local/lib/vtk-5.2 $ vtk
> dyld: Library not loaded:
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_sim_Library_ports_graphics_vtk5/work/VT
> K/bin/libvtkVolumeRenderingTCL.5.2.dylib
> Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/vtk
> [...]

Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot for testing this Portfile.  In a CMake thread, I was
commenting on problems with the RPATH settings for the macports build.
 As you point out, macports stages the installation, by using a
DESTDIR setting to the make install command.  It was only after I RTFM
some more that I realized my RPATH plans were up the creek without a
paddle!  Outside of macports, my build settings for RPATH work like a
charm.  I've spent most of the day trying to fix this (with some help
from the fink package maintainer).  It takes so long to build that my
progress is very slow, not to mention that I am using something of a
trial-n-error approach to this problem :-(  So, I've got a way to go
before I get the shared libraries to work with RPATH in the macport
build/install system.

Anyhow, I have attached a "snapshot" of my current Portfile, which has
some alterations to the default variants.  I tested the default
install today and it seemed to work for a static build, with examples,
with testing, with tcl wrapping (using a system tcl installation).
The static build avoids all the RPATH issues (I hope).  So, at least
this is something that can work.  It's a long way from an ideal port
with all the variants working properly, but it's something.

I can't stress enough that this Portfile is a work in progress, barely
at the alpha stage.  I really appreciate some help with testing it ;-)

Best, Darren