[vtkusers] Installation vtk 5.2.0 on OS X and PYTHONPATH

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Sep 19 11:50:58 EDT 2008

Hey Antoine,

I always get that error you originally got during "sudo make install"
of VTK, but for me it always works to just go into the build/Wrapping/
Python directory and run "sudo python setup.py install". This has
worked for me with the Python that ships with Leopard, as well as
others. (For the Leopard python, by default it installs into /Library/
Python/2.5/site-packages, which is fine.)

Dave: If you're still having trouble getting VTK 5.0 to install
correctly with the Python wrappings, you might want to consider
downloading the Academic version of the Enthought Python distribution
-- It will install its own version of Python (which you might not
want), but it comes with a BUNCH of packages, including VTK 5.0.4.

-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group