[vtkusers] Showing tissues (Skins ,

Michael Knopke Michael.Knopke at gmx.de
Fri Sep 12 05:30:03 EDT 2008

Hi,

Of course you can change the TF via mousewheel, but I guess if using
softwarerenderers only it won't be as fast as in the video.

Just write an eventhandler (vtk) that will be triggered on mousewheel move
(event) and change the opacity function gradually.

Don't do it like in your example using fixed values (the switch), as you can
see in the video the transition is very smooth, so just increase/decrease
those pointvalues minimal.

The VolumePro boards are used via wrapper classes like this:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.2/html/a03012.html

Although I think Osirix uses improved version as the VolumePro1000 is quite
old. Anyway the usage is similar to vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.

If you want interactive performance, try using vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D it
uses consumer graphics cards and is quite fast (but the quality is not as
good as the softwarerenderers)

For really good performance you will need a graphics card with high memory
bandwidth (e.g. Geforce 280GTX).

If you want to stay with software rendering use
vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper, its much faster than
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper (but quality is minimal lower also).

Use a QuadCore CPU ;-)

Good luck

Michael