[vtkusers] Packaging VTK 5.2 for Debian

Tim Bond timothy.bond at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 07:31:53 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm new to the list, having been pointed here by Gael Varoquaux
from Enthought after asking my question there and this list being
suggested as a better place to ask. I've tried looking through
the list archives and not found an answer to my question.

I'm part of a research group who are active users of VTK and are
keen to start using the new features from VTK 5.2. We have a lot
of systems and it's not very practical to build and install
software individually on them, hence we're hoping to get hold of
a Debian / Ubuntu package for 5.2. We had a go at building one
based on the 5.0 package but are not particularly experienced at
Debian packaging and came unstuck trying to get vtk-python to
package up properly.

My question - is anyone aware of ongoing work to get 5.2 building
in a Debian package framework? If so, I'd be very grateful if you
could point me in the right direction so we could either make use
of existing work or combine efforts to get a package built.

I've also been pointed at the Debian package maintainer for VTK
(Maitland Bottoms) who I've contacted about this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Regards,

Tim
--
Dr. Timothy M Bond, Operations Manager