[vtkusers] Rendering performance slowed by vtkTextActor

Jesús Spí­nola jspinola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:05:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm experiencing bad performance using vtkTextActor. I've been looking how
it works internally, and I have seen it uses the FTGL font engine, but it
always uses FTGLPixmapFont. This kind of font rendering is quite slow and
vtk does not offer any way to change amongst the FTFont choices, like
FTGLTextureFont or FTGLBufferFont.

Is there any reason why FTGLPixmapFont is the only option available? Is
there any way to use other FTFont than FTGLPixmapFont?

I would like to try all the possible choices to get the best font rendering
performance, so any suggestion would be very appreciate.

Thanks!