[vtkusers] Measuring FPS in vtk

Stefan sps.mindworks at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 12:56:01 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'd like to measure and display the render time (or the frames per second).
As this is probably a very common problem I hope you can share your
experience with me. This is what I found out so far:

 A good starting point seems to be the
vtkRenderer::GetLastRenderTimeInSeconds() method. However, there are two
issues left when using this method.

In my application the vtkRenderWindow is connected to a
vtkRenderWindowInteractor. I'd like to display the FPS without altering the
vtk code. The vtkRenderWindowInteractor invokes the RenderEvent after
rendering. Is it possible to catch this event in my code and the read the
render time from vtkRenderWindow? If so, how?

I'd also like to know the render time of different actors in the scene. More
specifically, I have a volume that is rendered and I'd like to measure the
render time just for the volume and not for the others actors in the scene.
Is that possible?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kindest regards,

Stefan