[vtkusers] [Probably repetitive] Tcl VTK under OSX 10.5.4 mouse/keyboard events?

William Ray willray at mac.com
Tue Sep 2 15:47:08 EDT 2008

> I wrote
>
> My problem (and I think it's more insidious than bug 2025)
> is that the VTK Tcl interpreter isn't getting/processing
> events, even if it is bundled and run "properly" rather than
> from the commandline.
>
> I have a few more ideas on this one.  Need to run a couple
> variant compiles and see how they behave.  I'll be back
> with more later.

Bloody #$%%^...  Ok, _My_ problem is somewhere between insidious
and really, really stupid.

I'm not 100% positive of the internals, but...

I was trying to build a pure Cocoa/Tcl VTK on 10.5.4.  Setting
Cocoa turns off Tk.  No Tk, no window interaction.  DOH.

Rebuilding as a Carbon-only VTK, I get a properly functioning,
interactable vtk executable that works out of the box, without
stuffing it in an app bundle.  In this use, the window gets focus
and events go to it properly, though the Finder/Dock don't know
about it properly and it doesn't get its own menu bar.

Wrapped in an app bundle, but executed from the commandline,
(including executing it with commandline arguments),
the Finder/Dock do know about it properly, it remains interactable,
_and_ it gets its proper menu bar, instead of remaining an
(apparent) Terminal.

I would suggest that there ought to be a way to build the
Cocoa versions of the other (works-in-Cocoa) portions of the
suite, and either gracefully fall back to Carbon for the
Tcl/Tk part, or to at least inform the user that the Cocoa/Tcl
interface really has no interface.

Ah well, I was hoping to modernize, but at least I can get the
student back on track with the existing scripts!

Thanks all,
Will Ray