[vtkusers] [Probably repetitive] Tcl VTK under OSX 10.5.4 mouse/keyboard events?

William Ray willray at mac.com
Tue Sep 2 14:22:19 EDT 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> From your comment, I assume you have seen:
> <http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=2025>
> Just checking. :)  Obviously you have read up on all this.

Yeah, a bit :-)

> I've personally only used VTK from C++, so I can't comment on your
> Tcl-
> specific issues.
>
> You might want to look at my most recent comment in the bug.  Adding
> the
> Info.plist info to your flat executable may do the trick, I don't
> think
> anyone has tried...

I've tried.  So far, no joy to report.

The "good news", though this doesn't fix my/our/bug#2025, is that
sometime recently (Leopard, I believe, though it might have crept
in somewhere else when I wasn't looking), commandline executables
seem to have become aware of whether they're stored in .app bundles.

The end effect of this is that you can wrap a commandline
executable in a properly structured .app bundle, and then
_call_ it from the commandline as

<path>/foo.app/Contents/MacOS/foo <arguments>

and it functions as a commandline executable, but gets full
Finder/Cocoa honors and privileges as though it was running as
a clicked-on App.

My problem (and I think it's more insidious than bug 2025)
is that the VTK Tcl interpreter isn't getting/processing
events, even if it is bundled and run "properly" rather than
from the commandline.

I have a few more ideas on this one.  Need to run a couple
variant compiles and see how they behave.  I'll be back
with more later.

Will Ray