[vtkusers] LSM reader in ITK / VTK - bioformats

Dan White white at mpi-cbg.de
Tue Sep 2 11:36:33 EDT 2008

Dear Alexandre,

you can go ahead and use the vtk LSM reader from in the BioimageXD
source code tree
under a BDS license.
We have cleared it with the lawyers in Finland and its no problem to
do that.

However, may I remind you that while our LSM reader is pretty feature
rich,
and we have spent much effort on making it work well,
for the future it make a lot of sense to use and help develop the java
bio-formats library from LOCI.

There is a wrapping function for bio-format in WrapITK already.

cheers

Dan

Hi!

Sorry to get back to this a little late, this the first time since
June I've had proper time to go through my inbox...

There are no problems with licensing the LSM reader under BSD, I
thought I had already told everyone that. So by all means, go ahead
with that! Just tell me when/how it's done. (Or is there something
else that needs sorting out in this matter? Kalle? Lassi?)

In general do keep in mind, though, that the green light here applies
only in this case and not automatically to any other module or feature
we have created. Each situation needs to be evaluated separately. But,
as said, for the LSM reader we are "go for launch".

-Pasi

Dan White wrote:
> Hi Guys, where did we get with this lsm reader re licensing issue...
> I thought we reached a solution?
> Dan
> Begin forwarded message:
>> *From: *Alexandre GOUAILLARD <alexandre_gouaillard at hotmail.com <mailto:alexandre_gouaillard at hotmail.com
>> >>
>> *Date: *July 30, 2008 11:35:22 AM GMT+02:00
>> *To: *Dan White <white at mpi-cbg.de <mailto:white at mpi-cbg.de>>,
>> Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com <mailto:mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
>> >>
>> *Cc: *Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com <mailto:luis.ibanez at kitware.com
>> >>
>> *Subject: **Re: [vtkusers] LSM Reader in ITK / VTK - bio-formats*
>>
>> Hi dan,
>>
>> Following our conversation  a few months ago,
>> I’m still waiting to see if you can pass your lsm reader under BSD.
>>
>> Matthieu is not working for kitware anymore, and , as far as we
>> discussed, did not want to go into modifying the itkLSM code.
>> Matthieu tu m arretes si je dit une connerie.
>>
>> If your code was available under BSD (last time we discussed that,
>> you had to deal with a university in Finland as they are the
>> copyright holder), then I would volunteer to do all the work to
>> synchronize your lsm reader with the itkLSM reader, to write a nice
>> IJ paper with you, and submit this code to IJ for further
>> integration in the toolkits.
>>
>> As long as your code is GPL, I cannot look at any line of it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> On 7/30/08 5:03 PM, "Dan White" <white at mpi-cbg.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> this message bounced from
>>> the kitware email address for Mathieu
>>> so I'll just forward it here(s)
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Senior Microscopist / Image Processing and Analysis
Light Microscopy Facility
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 DRESDEN
Germany

New Mobile Number!!!

+49 (0)15114966933 (German Mobile)
+49  (0)351 210 2627 (Work phone at MPI-CBG)
+49  (0)351 210 1078 (Fax MPI-CBG LMF)

http://www.bioimagexd.net
http://www.chalkie.org.uk
dan at chalkie.org.uk