[vtkusers] Placing Images in 3D space

Twobit arapson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 02:29:00 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm wondering if any could provide some basic assistance for a problem that
I have in term of placing Images in 3D space.

Basically what I'm trying to do:
I have several cameras that record an object in "3D". The cameras are placed
around the object at a Distance "d", and an angle of Theta. I need to place
these images into VTK, in order to reconstruct this 3D object.

I would imagine that the ImageData type can not allow me to rotate the image
in the 3D space. I'm currently converting the ImageData into PolyData, with
the hopes of then performing a rotation of WXYZ using a transform filter.
After this is done, I might need to export the new transformed object into
an array (if possible? similar to ImageExport/ImageImport).

The reason for the export/import is I'm not entirely sure that I can
reconstruct the 3D image with the VTK libraries, I am hoping that I can use
the RayCast functionality. However this is an issue to be solved later in
the week.

Is there a better way to achieve my desired effect? As I have noticed the
conversion does take a bit of time. Oh one last thing, can I use a gray
scale (after using Luminence for example) in the ImageToPolyData? or even
after wards?

I hope that someone will be able to guide me into the best solution.

Regards
Andrew Rapson