[vtkusers] Installing an application that uses VTK

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Oct 23 15:55:35 EDT 2008

Comments in line ( Everyone has their opinion about where to put
stuff.. these are mine)

Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net

On Oct 23, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Carl Trapani wrote:

> Well ... I need to put the VTK source somewhere, then do CMake and
> get a build directory, then make and install that probably using
> Eclipse CDT.
> 1) Where should I put the source, build and install dirs for the
> above?

Inside your user directory is good for this. DO NOT put it in /
Developer. Just leave /Developer for Apple to use. Also, IF you are
going to use CDT then CDT will want to create a "Workspace" which is a
directory on your computer. I put a folder called "Workspace" just
inside my home folder then point Eclipse to use ~/Workspace as its
"Workspace" directory.

Build Directory. Again, if you are going to use Eclipse with the cmake
makefiles generator then I would suggest creating a "Build" directory
inside the "VTK" directory. Then from the terminal you would do the
following:

cd ~/Workspace/VTK
mkdir Build
cd Build
ccmake ../
  .. Configure everything that way you want it
make -j2
make install

Also, for the installation directory I would stay away from /Library
or /Developer. /usr/local is hard to get to in the "Finder" so I
personally use /Users/Shared/Toolkits as my "installation". So for VTK
you would set your CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /Users/Shared/Toolkits/VTK

> Then I need to put my applications source somewhere, CMake and
> compile it and optionally install it.
> 2) Suggestions on where to put my source and then where to install
> my C++ application (that uses VTK 5.2)?

See #1 above and follow the same rules.

> 3) Pointers on tools would be very much appreciated. I'm thinking
> about CPack .. but don't really know if this is appropriate. I'm
> going with static compilation.

I will let someone else comment on CPack. Tar.gz seems to work for my
projects.