[vtkusers] Problems performing off-screen rendering with vtk-5.3.x, Qt-4.5.x and Cocoa 64-bit libraries

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Wed Oct 22 12:39:24 EDT 2008

Offscreen mode first creates a window to be able to create an OpenGL
context on which OpenGL version and extensions can be queried to find
out if the framebuffer object extension (FBO) is
supported (as well as none-power-of-two textures (NPOT) and
rectangular textures). If so, it will create an FBO and render in it
instead of the window. If not, it destroys the window. In your case,
it probably does not find this extension. Note: this is the only
offscreen mode supported by VTK on Carbon and Cocoa.
With FBO, the rendering happens offscreen but it does not prevent to
have at least a dummy window to show up.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>          I have a problem performing off-screen rendering using vtk. I am
> using vtk-5.3.x, Qt-4.5.x and Cocoa 64-bit libraries.
> The problem is that even if I set off-screen rendering off in the
> vtkRenderWindow, a small Cocoa window still appears.
> renWin->OffScreenRenderingOn();
> How can I prevent this?
> Best regards,
> Elvis Dowson

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive