[vtkusers] Cocoa, Python, VTK and wx embedded window problems

John Donker j.h.donker at home.nl
Wed Oct 15 16:42:13 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am working  on a project that is using VTK with wxWidgets and
Python. And on OS X (10.5) something very strange happens. When I try
to embed the VTK window (like in the example wxvtkWindowRender.py in
wrapping/python/vtk/wx) I get two windows of the same size. One
displays the VTK openGL output and the other responds to events.  The
openGL output responds correctly, except that it's rendering in a
different window.

The same python code works on Windows Vista without any problems. In
the terminal some messages appear that the window can't be remapped
because it's unsupported.  A quick check in the headers confirms this.
But I have seen embedded VTK windows in other apps so this unlikely.
Since I have very limited experience with OpenGL and Cocoa I don't
really have an idea where to look to solve this problem.

I am compiling from the command-line with shared_libs, python_wrapping
and cocoa.  Is this a known bug?

Sincerely,

John Donker