[vtkusers] How to put Qt widgets on top of a VTK OpenGL scene

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 06:19:42 EDT 2008

Hi,
         Qt-4.4.3 has recently added support for rendering Qt widgets
on top of a VTK OpenGL scene. I just downloaded the latest release of
Qt-4.4.3 and tried it on Mac OS X 10.5.5 and the demo application
works well, without any problems.

I want to be able to use Qt to render a VTK OpenGL scene, as well as
utilize this new capability to directly render Qt widgets within the
VTK rendered OpenGL scene. This will raise the bar for interactive
applications developed using Qt.

I took a quick look at the QVTKWidget plugin for QtDesigner. It
subclasses from QtWidget.

The functionality outline above requires that you subclass from
QtGraphicsView.

I was just wondering if someone who know the QVTKWidget plugin can
tell me of the implementation used for creating QVTKWidget plugin are
compatible, i.e. QtWidget can use QtGraphicsView or we can get an
instance of QtGraphicsView from QtWidget, and use the technique
outlined in the article below to render Qt Widgets directly into a VTK
OpenGL scene.  Or  if we need to re-write QVTKPlugin to support this
capability?

Here is a link to the article and a blog

Accelerate your Widgets with OpenGL

Qt Labs Blogs » Accelerate your widgets with OpenGL

as well as a screenshot

The sample code can be downloaded using the following command

svn checkout svn://labs.trolltech.com/svn/graphics/dojo/modelviewer

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson