[vtkusers] How to import NASA SRTM DEM data into VTK

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Mon Oct 13 10:49:38 EDT 2008

Hi,
          So i just decided to test the locations that I'm reading,
and decided to take two locations as test regions.

Coordinates

Mount St. Helens		Latitude 46:19N Longtitude 122:19W
Mount Everest		Latitude 27:58N Longtitude 86:56E

NASA SRTM Filename

Mount St. Helens		N46W122.hgt.zip
Mount Everest		N27E086.hgt.zip

These files are available at ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM3

Here is the SRTM elevation data for Mount Everest. I will try to
reconstruct a 3D surface later on.

For Mount St. Helens, I think I needed to tile 3 or more images
together, so I will send it in a subsequent post.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson