[vtkusers] How to import NASA SRTM DEM data into VTK

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 15:36:34 EDT 2008

Hi,
          Here is a brief description of the NASA SRTM DEM file. Can
someone please give me some hints on how I can read this simple binary
raster file and create a vtkSRTMReader class to produce a vtkImageData
ouput, for further processing for reconstructing a 3D terrain surface.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson

DEM File (.HGT)
The DEM is provided as 16-bit signed integer data in a simple binary
raster. There are no header
or trailer bytes embedded in the file. The data are stored in row
major order (all the data for row
1, followed by all the data for row 2, etc.).
All elevations are in meters referenced to the WGS84/EGM96 geoid as
documented at http://
www.NGA.mil/GandG/wgsegm/.
Byte order is Motorola ("big-endian") standard with the most
significant byte first. Since they are
signed integers elevations can range from -32767 to 32767 meters,
encompassing the range of
elevation to be found on the Earth.
These data also contain occassional voids from a number of causes such
as shadowing, phase
unwrapping anomalies, or other radar-specific causes. Voids are
flagged with the value -32768.